Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Manu Ginobili & Friendster

I was doing nothing just now, browsing around... and stuff. And then I came across the trending searches on Google. And a familiar name caught my eyes.

Manu Ginobili.

Manu Ginobili? Sounded kind of familiar.. And without waiting for another minute, I clicked the link that referred to the trend. The first related post titled "Manu Ginobili's play makes Spurs that much tougher"Upon reading the title, everything was slowly coming back to me... well, actually the word "Spurs" did the work by giving me a hint. Manu Ginobili is an NBA player, a basketball player, it is. 

So here how the story of my fading memories goes... It was back then when I was quite a fan of Houston Rockets.. yeah, basketball and stuff. I had the chance to watch the match between these two teams, Spurs and Rocket. During the game, which was in 2007 if I'm not mistaken, Ginobili seemed to stand out if compared to others.. okay maybe not over Yao Ming.. :D And that's how I started to kind of adore and admire this figure, Mr. Manu Ginobili.

So, when I was reading the title, my mind went back to the time when I used to download his photo and made it as my Friendster's default picture. 

(anyway, this is not actual what my DP used to look like, 
i couldn't find the exact one anymore, how sad.)

Yes, I said 'Friendster'. And it got me thinking, "Friendster.... what has it became now?"

Therefore, I righted away logged into Friendster. To my surprise, what I saw was nothing like the website I used to logged into almost everyday when I was 14-17. It has changed into some lame flash-game site, and there is no trace of social-networking site in it.

At that time, it did not really bother me, as I thought "Just do whatever changes you want to do, friendster, as long as you don't remove the photos and messages from my profile." So I randomly clicked the button on the page, wanting to take a look at my abandoned profile. 

And this is the most frustrating part; I could not find any! TㅂT... My photos, my messages, all those commenting history and memories of my adolescent life, they vanished just like that! How frustrating, seriously.

I thought there is a chance that I could retrieve all those stuffs and keep them safely with me, but there is nothing. And of course, I am not the only one who feel this way. They even have the sort-of like petition where people who feel the same way can express their feelings about the 'lost' and how all those things mean a lot to them. It's here.

Anyway, there must be a reason behind it; why friendster team did the thing that they do. Because whatever reason behind it, I believe it was definitely INTENTIONAL. My theory is that they just want to take revenge over its users that used to glorify Friendster back then and made it the most prominent social networking website before the rising of Facebook. But now, who really cares about Friendster anymore? Exactly, no one. And this probably had led to the major lost to the company. There is basically nothing can be done, and 'revenge' was all left then. And maybe the new 'gaming thing' could provide them with something, who knows.

Sad, sad, this is saddening.
Manu Ginobili is getting old.
Friendster has lost its way.
I was not even told.
But, my memories is still fading away.

Manu Ginobili recently...
Nice teeth.


No comments: